Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Borjomi: love it or hate it

That's what the Lonely Planet says about the Georgian mineral water famous throughout the ex-USSR. I have to admit that I clearly fall into the second category. Just after arrival yesterday in this cute resort town in the south of Georgia we tried the famous water, coming straight out of the mountain. How shall I describe it? Warm, tastes of sulphur (rotten eggs...) and has an aftertaste of metal. Yuck! Though the locals insist -- and they must be right... -- that it has all the benefits for one's health that you can imagine.

Better stay unhealthy, I told myself, and spat the water out.

However, we discovered an alternative, much better use to the water: BATHE in it! Not in one of the old Soviet sanatoria (which do have their own charm, I admit) but in an outside pool fed by the warm spring water, an hour on foot outside the town on a meadow surrounded by pristine forests. No other humans around, the only sound came from the stream beside the pool and the birds chirping in the trees. True romance!

(Now we're looking forward to more such lovely moments in nature: we're off to a couple of days of hiking in the Borjomi-Karagauli National Park. We will therefore also escape the election frenzy which has hit the country in the run up to the Parliamentary Elections tomorrow.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Je connais bien cette odeur d'oeuf pourri. Enfant, je passais toutes mes vacances à Vichy !!!, le verre à la main, suivant les femmes de la famille, grand-mère, tante, mère, soeur...pendant que l'homme, fils, mari et père arpentait le Casino. Heureusement, mon père a par la suite changé de ville et de Casino et on a abandonné, en masse, les cures thermales.

Bon, j'ai vu que les élections s'étaient passées le mieux du monde pour le pouvoir en place... Encore une bonne nouvelle!

Bonne grimpette.
Catherine